Friday, January 14, 2011

Recursive escapism

I escape from the unpleasantries of life through drawing. In time I got more serious about it, and have gotten obsessed about getting my techniques up to scratch and all. Drawing has become a big project in itself, where the goal is to get less crap at it. These are my current WIPs, which hopefully will be finished by the end of January.


And some boring practice:

Ok, drawing has become stressful and I'm getting so bogged down with trying to improve that I've forgotten how to enjoy it (ideally improvement and enjoyment shouldn't be mutually exclusive). Dumb huh? So the past 3 days I've escaped from "proper" drawing practice, and just let go and did some careless watercolour pictures. I paid no attention about what I was gaining from each picture- what was being learnt. Bold shadows and highlights are ignored, mistakes are overlooked, I really just drew these without caring at all. As a result they're all wrong. Like your face. Ugh sorry, I actually don't like that your-face joke.


BUT- to end this post on a positive note - for once I wasn't stressed and even managed to enjoy making them. WEIRD HUH???

Hmm also, I notice my posts always go on about the same issues over and over again.

1 comment: